Hi,

I've had a look at this and I don't believe it's a bug.
The dx and dy tspan attributes simply adjust the
"current text position" and the adjustment is not reversed
when a tspan ends. If you have a look at the "But you are a
peach!" tspan example in the spec, the "a peach!" position
is relative to the previous tspan.
Batik used to have a bug where this adjustment was lost
sometimes, but I fixed this a while ago.

I have also looked at your example with Adobe's
viewer and it displays the same as Batik.

What you probably want to use is the baseline-shift
property. For example:

<text x="10" y="30" style="font-size:12pt;">
        H<tspan style="baseline-shift:sub">2</tspan>O
      and e=mc<tspan style="baseline-shift:super">2</tspan>
        equations.
</text>

I hope this helps.

Regards,