Hervé Girod wrote:

>> Are you modifying the document outside
>>of the UpdateManager RunnableQueue?

Yes I do...

This is why you aren't getting updates (when a runnable completes it checks if there are dirty regions, if there are it arranges for a repaint). It also means that you would likely eventually get into other threading problems.

I just looked the documentation for UpdateManager and RunnableQueue , but I
don't see were I have to hook my code (in my example deletion of a
GraphicsNode).

In the run method of the Runnable you pass to the RunnableQueue's invokeLater method. Often it is sufficent to just create a anonymous inner class for this:

   updateManager.getUpdateRunnableQueue().invokeLater(new Runnable() {
        public void run() {  // Your code goes here  });

You can also use invokeAndWait but you can't do this from the Swing thread or you may create a thread deadlock.

Why do you feel the need to force a repaint?

 Modifications to the GVT tree should automatically register
dirty regions which will be repainted.  If this isn't happening
for you, it would seem that you are doing something wrong at
the 'repaint' layer.