Cameron McCormack wrote:
Now that I think of it, and that I've done the work of creating these
extended DOM interfaces :), is there any need for them at all?  If
users of the Batik DOM classes have to downcast to get access to the DOM
3 methods, why not just make them cast to one of the dom.Abstract*
classes?

Well once again it is the issue of new classes. With the shadow the only thing that needs mods is the shadow classes, between, DOM 2 & 3. Of course if the new classes "show through" and there really is no change then perhaps they aren't needed (although the do have the nice property of being an interface we can point to that could be a little more public than our Abstract classes).