H Chris & Tim.

  I think that the confusion comes from an example in the spec, section 7.10
Units.  Without context, the reader might pick out the 1pt == 1.25px...

my 2 cents

--- clip

   -

   The other absolute unit identifiers from CSS (i.e., pt, pc, cm, mm, in)
   are all defined as an appropriate multiple of one *px* unit (which,
   according to the previous item, is defined to be equal to one user unit),
   based on what the SVG user agent determines is the size of a *px* unit
   (possibly passed from the parent processor or environment at initialization
   time). For example, suppose that the user agent can determine from its
   environment that "1px" corresponds to "0.2822222mm" (i.e., 90dpi). Then, for
   all processing of SVG content:
   - "1pt" equals "1.25px" (and therefore 1.25 user units)
      - "1pc" equals "15px" (and therefore 15 user units)
      - "1mm" would be "3.543307px" (3.543307 user units)
      - "1cm" equals "35.43307px" (and therefore 35.43307 user units)
      - "1in" equals "90px" (and therefore 90 user units)

-- clip