Peppo,
I assume you're using the current Batik release. I recommend you
download Apache FOP 1.0 [1] and switch Batik's pdf-transcoder.jar with
FOP's build/fop-transcoder-allinone.jar. There have been some
improvements since the last Batik release and since the FOP 0.95 release.
By default, the PDFTranscoder should be enabling the "auto-fonts"
feature and therefore make available all operating system fonts for use
in PDF output. [2] might also help.

[1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/download.html
[2]
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/SvgNotes/PdfTranscoderTrueTypeEmbedding

On 30.08.2011 09:30:50 Peppo Herney wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use batik to convert svg files to pdf files. It would be very helpful to
> have the text in the pdf version still as searchable text and not drawn as
> shapes by Batik, using the stroking text painter.
> In the manual [1] it says "Batik will use normal PDF text [...], if the text
> can be drawn normally and the font is supported". I tried with a few svg
> files, but the text was always rendered.
> Can anybody please give me a hint under which circumstances or font batik
> produces regular text in the pdf file?
>
> Cheers
>
> [1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/graphics.html#svg-pdf-text
>
> Peppo Herney