Adding a background gives me some contrast and makes it readable...the
alignment does not look as expected though...looks like the character width
is not being respected on conversion...manually changing the font to
monospaced helps alot, but is not a complete fix

here's my invocation:

java -jar src/batik/trunk/batik-1.8pre/batik-rasterizer.jar
~/Downloads/pastie-3329528.svg -bg 255.255.255.255