On 07/31/2013 11:45 AM, Wulf Berschin wrote:
Hi batik cracks,

as far I found out the CSS property baseline-shift is neither supported
by IE 9.0 nor yet by Firefox. Unfortunately I'm now not only exposed
these exotic (behaving) SVG renderers but mathematical formulas with
lots of superscripts and subscripts on the SVG side as well.

I'm now considering to create a small converter which transforms
"baseline-shift" CSS attributes into "dy" attributes. With some efforts
I could solve this in XML, but since I am lazy and eager to use Batik
I'd prefer some higher level API to use.

Could someone please light me the way how to do this with Batik?
Is my impression correct that I will need to use the GVT API?

I am not giving you a complete solution because I don't know GVT internals, but I have used the Batik CSS engine for other kind of document type (forms for line printer based documents, think ESC/P, ESC/POS, Proprinter languages, etc) and I was already using Batik so the internal CSS engine was available and I avoided another CSS engine dependency.

You can try to extend the Batik CSSEngine implementations like SVGCSSEngine and SVG12CSSEngine and add some new ValueManagers. I think you should check what other ValueManagers do to their work on the document.

In my case, as it was an entirely new CSSEngine implementation for my document type, I don't know how to interact with the GVT tree form it because I was doing my drawing outside SVG

Thank you!

Wulf