RW> By the same token, BBDB could take such multiple records and merge
RW> them when importing from the pilot. Or not. There's unfortunately
RW> a disconnect here that's hard to paper over "correctly". Perhaps
RW> snagging the pilot's record ID might be of use to help this
RW> process.

RB> Thomas E Deweese <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>  This is definitly doable.

RB> I'd suspect that in order to do really nice merging you'd need to
RB> store the pilot's record ID in the bbdb record, but I haven't
RB> thought too hard about it...

    I have been thinking about this for my BBDB->Pilot script
(PilotManager).  Right now when it goes to update a record it only
clears out all the fields in the record being updated that it is
actually going to update, this means that if you delete a phone number
on the Palm or BBDB it often won't get deleted on the other.  My
current thinking is that along with the Pilot record-id it should
track which fields from BBDB went to what fields in Pilot.  This would
allow much more targeted and correct updates.

    So extending this a little bit, allow multiple pilot record-id's
and for each record-id track which bbdb-fields went to which
pilot-fields in each record, so name and company might always go to
both, but Home (phone and address) went to one record and Work goes to
the other.  This 'invisible' linkage of certain fields might cause
some problems. Consider a person who consults at multiple companies,
you might want the Company name different for each of the Pilot
Records but every time you synced it would overwrite the other Company
:(.

    The other real trick is knowing when it would be appropriate to do
the split and when not (my current feeling is when there is more than
one address).  You could also have it be directed by another BBDB
field but then you are starting to accumulate junk in the BBDB record.

--
                                                        Thomas DeWeese
[EMAIL PROTECTED]