i would say that bbdb is very far away from overruling its user.  if you
dig a little, you can find three ways to do what you want:

1) provide a prefix argument whenever you insert a new phone field -- then
   each phone # is an unprocessed text string

2) set bbdb-north-american-phone-numbers-p to nil, which does 1) for all
   new phone #s by default.

3) rewrite bbdb-phone-string to not print parentheses and hyphens (though
   any problems you create are yours alone...)

- jfw