    Kai> On 30 Oct 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
    >> Unfortunately, I still have the same problem, and a search of
    >> the bbdb archives for 'define-mail-user-agent' did not turn up
    >> anything previous to Kai's response.

    Kai> The user agent is included in the most recent Gnus version.
    Kai> I'm not sure if it is in 5.8.7 already.  You might have to
    Kai> fetch the most recent version via CVS, or get a snapshot.

    Kai> Also, the `compose-mail' option of BBDB was added after
    Kai> 2.00.06, so I think you want BBDB 2.2, as well.

    Kai> I think you will have to do the following to get it to work:

    Kai> (setq bbdb-send-mail-style 'compose-mail) ; maybe other value
    Kai> (setq mail-user-agent 'gnus-user-agent)

Thanks for the followup.

I have installed GNUS 5.8.8 from the CVS and BBDB2.2.  All is working
well (the GCC lines are being inserted, as long last!) now except in
one circumstance.  When I have started emacs and use bbdb-send-mail
from the *BBDB* buffer I get the error

Symbol's function definition is void: nil

If I first compose a mail with gnus-group-mail from any other buffer,
and *then* try bbdb-send-mail from the *BBDB* buffer, all is well.  So
apparently gnus-group-mail is doing some initializations that
bbdb-send-mail needs.  This is true whether or not I have started GNUS
independently with 'M-x gnus'.

My configs:

  (require 'bbdb)
  (bbdb-initialize 'gnus 'message 'sc 'w3)
  (setq bbdb-send-mail-style 'compose-mail)
  (setq mail-user-agent 'gnus-user-agent)

Are there some additional initialization lines that I need to get
everything initialized for gnus-user-agent from *BBDB*?

Thanks for all the help,
John Hunter

Version info:
BBDB version 2.2