Lo, on Friday, January 5, John F. Whitehead did write:

> see the examples in the bbdb info file (at the predefined hooks node).
> you can only do headers, not the body of the msg.  for example,
>      (("From" . "@.*\\.maximegalon\\.edu")
>       ("Subject" . "time travel"))

Hm.  I guess I wasn't clear in my original question.

The above will grab addresses for all messages from maximegalon OR about
time travel.  I want to grab addresses for all messages that are addressed
directly to me AND don't have "naked" addresses (e.g., have to have a
person's name in the From: header, not just a mail address).  Neither of
the two pre-defined hooks supports this behavior.  So, I want to write my
own hook, but it was originally unclear to me how to access the
text/headers of the message.

However, I've found the source to bbdb-ignore-most-messages-hook, so I may
be able to figure it out from here.  (I'd originally done a grep on the
bbdb files, but I'd forgotten that Debian compresses all of the .el's, so
grep didn't find much.  zgrep works much better here....)

Richard