Jamie> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> 3) Also, in bbdb how do I create entirely NEW records?  It isn't obvious
> from the mode help.  Oh, wait, I found it.  It's bbdb-create and it's not
> bound to any keys in the mode.  That is going to change soon...

Jamie> I use bbdb-create about once every six months (and then only for
Jamie> people without email); the easiest way to create new records is to
Jamie> let it happen automatically.  Select a message by the person you
Jamie> want to add, and type ":" or ";".

Hmmm.  I use bbdb-create about once every six *hours* since I'm always
adding stuff to my index that I see in news and mail (yes, I know about
using ":" if what you want to add to your database is the sender's or
poster's name).

What would be nice for me would be if there were a way for me to call
bbdb-create with the defaults being the area around point (no I don't know
how to do this).  What I'm getting at is I see something like the
following in a news article:

        For further info, contact:
                Mega Electronics
                555 Main
                Anywhere, CA 95555
                (415) 555-1212

so I'd stick point in there somewhere and invoke
"bbdb-create-around-point" and it would take a stab at it.  Of course it
probably can't get everything right, since nothing is standardized, but I
could live with that and go in after the basic entry was created and mop
up.  Seems like this would save some typing.  Or maybe you could put point
at the beginning of the address--bbdb could assume some things, perhaps
even up to and including the zip code.  Foreign addresses would lose, but
you can't have everything.

If it turns out to be totally screwed up, well, just "d" and go ahead and
do it manually as you do now.

Probably hideously difficult to code (and impossible for me, since my
elisp-IQ is somewhere below 50).
--
Mike Northam, Shorter Software Solutions, on contract to Intel Corp.
(h) (503) 324-1831 (o) (503) 696-4860   123 11' 40" W   45 37' 14" N