Jamie> I've never seen a record in the .bbdb file get trashed; I have
Jamie> occasionally seen .bbdb files where the records had gotten misordered,
Jamie> but I've never seen a reproducible test case.  Most (but not all) of
Jamie> the times this has happened, it has been because the .bbdb file was
Jamie> edited by hand, or by code that I didn't write that made incorrect
Jamie> assumptions about the ordering requirements.

Well, this is precisely, what I am doing from time to time. However, there is
a very simple and convenient trick for debugging the bbdb database:

 1. I start this by typing e.g. "M-x bbdb ."
 2. When bbdb runs into a bug of the .bbdb database, do:
    2.1 switch to buffer .bbdb (point is now at the misformed line)
    2.2 edit the current line (or kill it)
    2.3 save buffer .bbdb
    2.4 kill buffer .bbdb
 3. repeat 1. and 2. until there is no more error in the .bbdb file

Hope this helps -- Josef