Roland McGrath wrote:

> I agree, and this makes me remember that it would be real nice if bbdb
> would ignore the default area code when you append one to the prompt
> string.  It is annoying that when I kill a phone number from some buffer, I
> have to remove `(617) ' from the minibuffer before yanking, or else get a
> bbdb phone parsing error.

It seems to me that these are mutually exclusive; either the area code
shouldn't be in the default text that you're editing, and the default
area code should be inserted after you've finished your edit if you didn't
type an area code; or the textual default should be the area code of the
last phone number you entered.  I think that making the "invisible" default
change to match the last number would cause problems.  And I think that
making BBDB accept input of the form "(415) (510) 123-4567" would be a big
mistake.
        -- Jamie