Jamie wrote:
: I think that making the "invisible" default
: change to match the last number would cause problems.  And I think that
: making BBDB accept input of the form "(415) (510) 123-4567" would be a big
: mistake.

You could make the first option work by making the default /visible/.
If you enter a phone number without an area code, it would smartly
guess the proper one to append, format the phone number, and ask for
confirmation.  You'd be then free to change it if BBDB guessed wrong.
This is relatively standard behavior for emacs in situations where
nonzero completion is necessary to make an input reasonable.

And while I'm on the subject, my own ideas of how the area code should
default are (1) same as the area code for another phone number of that
person (2) your global default.  And for future improvement, it could
look through the database or through a separately-stored list for the
proper area code for the city/state in the address (the address with
matching location, if applicable).  The list wouldn't have to be
exhaustive to be useful.

The other thing I'd like to see on phone number entry is a way to
choose non-us format on the fly, since I never remember to press the
necessary C-u before typing in the number.

Bng