Am I the only one to find advice.el intractable (ie can't compile it)?

I *did* read the Installation note below, though with it being 3:42 in
the morning I might have done something else stupid.

;; @ Installation:
;; Put this file somewhere into your Emacs `load-path' and byte-compile it.
;; Both steps are mandatory! You cannot (and would not want to) run advice
;; uncompiled, and because there is bootstrapping going on the byte-compiler
;; needs to preload advice in order to compile it, hence, it has to find it
;; in your `load-path' (you can preload advice.el "by hand" before you compile
;; it if you don't want to put it into your `load-path').

--
Andrew.
"If we only wanted to be happy it would be easy; but we want to be