I have more information on what I am seeing:

Running:  FSF Emacs 19.22
               BBDB  1.49
           JWZ-GNUS  4.1  (this is the GNUS 4.1 with optimizations put
                           together by JWZ)
   on a Sparc 2 with Sun 4.1.1

I am definately seeing bbdb frobnicating EVERY time I select an
article.  I puch the key to view the article under point in the
Summary window and BBDB starts in with "reading" and "frobnicating"
messages.  I then see a "frobnicating done" message and the Article
window is updated with the article I just selected.

Here is a call stack from a 'debug-on-quit' when I selected an
article.

Signalling: (quit)
  parse-bbdb-internal()
  bbdb-records(t)
  byte-code("<<deleted>>")[w select-window bbdb-records t bbdb-hashtable] 2)
  bbdb-annotate-message-sender("[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wee Meng Lee)" t nil nil)
  bbdb/gnus-update-record(nil)
  bbdb/gnus-pop-up-bbdb-buffer(nil)
  bbdb/gnus-update-record()
  funcall(bbdb/gnus-update-record)
  mapcar(funcall (bbdb/gnus-update-record))
  run-hooks(gnus-article-prepare-hook)
  gnus-article-prepare(13469 nil)
  gnus-summary-display-article(13469 nil)
  gnus-summary-select-article(nil t)
  gnus-summary-show-article()
  call-interactively(gnus-summary-show-article)

Here is the relevent setting section from my .emacs file:

(setq gnus-startup-hook 'bbdb-insinuate-gnus)   ; for GNUS 3.15 or newer
(setq bbdb-default-area-code 919)
(setq bbdb-electric-p t)
(setq bbdb/mail-auto-create-p t)
(setq bbdb/news-auto-create-p nil)
(setq bbdb-use-pop-up t)
(setq bbdb-message-caching-enabled nil)
(setq bbdb/gnus-header-prefer-real-names nil)
(setq bbdb/gnus-header-show-bbdb-names nil)
(setq bbdb/gnus-lines-and-from 20)

Lance