I want to use the auto-notes alist to extract X-face headers and other
information that I don't actually want to see in the article buffer.

At the moment, that text is not visible to the BBDB code as it tries to
extract the information. IIRC, Gnus marks it 'invisible or 'intangible.

Anyway, this means that an X-Face match will never be made unless the
X-Face header is one of my default set of visible headers.

Is it possible for BBDB to ensure that all headers are visible while
doing the notes stuff, then restore the old state?

        Daniel

--
A pedestal is as much a prison as any small space.
        -- Gloria Steinem