> > > Okay, I'm looking into this. There's more broken than that, and I
> > > can't understand how I missed it. For now, you can set
> > > bbdb-message-caching-enabled to nil and work away.
> >
> > I tried that but still got a different error somewhere else.
>
> Please post the error. I can't fix these things if I'm not aware of
> them.

Hmmm, that's what testing is for.  If you can get it to work at all
let me know.  I had given up and gone back to the 2.2 release (heck,
it may give the wrong completion without warning, but any port in a
storm).  Just so that you have no excuses, I've reinstalled 2.3 to
reproduce the error for you.  Or errors.

Just setting bbdb-message-caching-enabled to nil doesn't help, since
bbdb-message-cache-lookup is still called.  I don't see how it could
have worked for you.  Removing the second argument in the call to it
in bbdb/rmail-update-record gives an empty BBDB popup while viewing a
message in RMAIL (as if there were no corresponding BBDB record, when
there is one) and if you type ':' in the RMAIL buffer to invoke
bbdb/rmail-show-sender you are rewarded with the following error:

Signaling: (error "unperson")
  signal(error ("unperson"))
  error("unperson")
  bbdb/rmail-show-sender()
  call-interactively(bbdb/rmail-show-sender)

That's with bbdb-message-caching-enabled set to nil; with it set to t
you get a different error:

Signaling: (error "record doubleplus unpresent!")
  signal(error ("record doubleplus unpresent!"))
  error("record doubleplus unpresent!")
  bbdb-display-records-1(((#<buffer RMAIL>)))
  bbdb-display-records(((#<buffer RMAIL>)))
  bbdb/rmail-pop-up-bbdb-buffer(nil)
  bbdb/rmail-update-record()
  run-hooks(rmail-show-message-hook)
  rmail-show-message(2774)
  rmail-next-undeleted-message(-1)
  rmail-previous-undeleted-message(1)
  call-interactively(rmail-previous-undeleted-message)

Patrick