I run BBDB from the source directory without any fancy stuff.  I had
to regenerate bbdb-autoloads.el recently because of changes in CVS.
Without running configure, I just copied this to a makefile and ran
make.  Worked.  :)

And now bbdb-gui and bbdb-fontify-buffer work for Emacs 20.7, too.

Alex.

RM=rm -f
EMACS=emacs
bbdb-autoloads.el: $(DEPSRCS)
        $(EMACS) -batch -q -l autoload \
                --eval '(setq generated-autoload-file "'`pwd`'/$@")' \
                --eval "(if (featurep 'xemacs) (delete-file generated-autoload-file))"
\
                --eval '(setq make-backup-files nil)' \
                --eval '(setq autoload-package-name "bbdb")' \
                -f batch-update-autoloads `pwd`
        @echo "(provide 'bbdb-autoloads)" >> $@;