On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Ronan Waide wrote:
> On October 17, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>> With some reprodcuible regularity, vm & bbdb complete to the *second*
>> name, rather then the primary.
>
> Bugs and suchlike aside, there is another issue here which collides
> with doing this 'right':
>
> Say I have a record for myself, that lists my addresses as follows:

[...]

> The former is obviously primary name completion; the latter is net
> completion. The confusion arises (all bugs aside) when you have both
> primary and net completion. Adding AKA completion makes it even
> worse. I'm unsure how to fix this, short of adding yet another
> customisation variable dictating whether primary name binds tighter
> than net address - this is often not the case among hackers;

How about allowing a list, rather than a symbol, in the binding space,
so that I can say:

(setq bbdb-completion-type '(primary name net aka old-net))

Then I can express the way I search correctly: I want to match on the
primary net address, then the real name.

If that fails, try for another net address, an AKA and, finally, the
old-net field where I store the now outdated addresses of people who
have moved...

(Note that this last is something I plan on setting up, just next time
it gets to be irritating enough. ;)

        Daniel

--
It could be that the real universe...is perhaps what has been started by some
disastrous experiment performed some twenty billion years ago by a