A few little things I noticed while prepping bbdb-expire-1.5...

- `bbdb-update-records' has this chatty little `updating of records
  finished' message, which is rendered almost useless by the fact that
  in BBDB's default config and in every other one I was able to find
  using a pop-up BBDB window in Gnus, the `updating' message happens
  whenever a record is displayed... (and this isn't related to
  bbdb-expire's updating of every record you see; it happens when
  bbdb-expire isn't loaded, too. But maybe it's caused by something
  else I have hooked somewhere... my Gnus config is a mass of hooks.)

- `bbdb-display-layout-alist' is a wonderful invention but its docstring
  could do with improvement. It mentions the `full-multi-line' layout
  but doesn't define it, which is good because nothing in the BBDB
  uses that layout that I can see. (Equally, I couldn't get anything
  to use pop-up-multi-line; pop-ups use ordinary multi-line...)

  If you misspell `indentation' as `indention' and wire that spelling
  error into the code, the docstring shouldn't then proceed to typo
  the typo in turn, as `indetion' :) :)

  There's no documentation for the functionability of the omit-list
  and order-list, which seems like it could be useful.

- and thank you, Ronan, for applying the patch to add
  `bbdb-suppress-changed-records-recording'; at last bbdb-expire
  requires no bbdb patches!

On the horrible code front: if anyone wants to be made horribly sick,
they should have a look at the function
`bbdb-expire-auto-edit-bbdb-display-layout-alist' in bbdb-expire-1.5; it
edits things into the bbdb-display-layout-alist sort of like
`bbdb-elided-display-sanity-setup' does, only it doesn't have pansy
ideas like giving up merely because `omit' is already set, oh no...

(I just wasted two hours on that code. God knows why, the expirer's
suffering from terminal featuritis already :) )

(Oh, hell, I think I managed to announce bbdb-expire without once saying
where to get it from. Serves me right for doing announcements at 2am...

If any confused people are reading this far down, bbdb-expire's
available from the usual place, <http://www.esperi.demon.co.uk/nix/>.

Oops.)

--
`However, if you want to detect whether (say, 1 in 1000) cars are being
 abducted by bunnies along their route, you've got a whole new problem.'