Ronan Waide writes:
> > Somehow the call to (bbdb-initialise) isn't loading in bbdb-autoloads,
> > or bbdb-autoloads isn't correctly referencing bbdb-vm.  If I manually
> > load "bbdb-vm" and then call bbdb-insinuate-vm, I get a little
> > further, before the fact that I have an old format db bites, and I get
> > an error message:

> > Symbol's function definition is void: bbdb-migration-query

> Hmm. Looking like some sort of load-path or autoloads problem. What
> do you get if you do C-h v bbdb-insinuate-vm ?

[Sorry for the long turn-arounds on my part; I'm moving into a new
job.]

Well, recall that I can only get this far if I manually call

 (load "bbdb-vm")

without this, I don't get bbdb-insinuate-vm at all.

Anyway, C-h f bbdb-insinuate-vm then gives

bbdb-insinuate-vm is a compiled Lisp function in `bbdb-vm'.
(bbdb-insinuate-vm)

Call this function to hook BBDB into VM.

One potential extra complication I just twigged to is that I'm trying
to install 2.34 over 2.00 on a system where I have also overridden an
old version of VM (6.64) with a newer version (7.07).  I ran

  ./configure --with-vm-dir=<my copy of new VM .elc files>

so maybe this isn't a problem.

To summarise:

with old bbdb pre-installed (it's version 2.00), I can't seem to get a
working installation of 2.34 over top of this.

Should I try compiling with an emacs that omits even its standard
startup files (with --no-site-file) ?

Michael.