> * In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> * On the subject of "Re: name canonicalization"
> * Sent on Wed, 23 Jul 2003 17:19:11 +0100
> * Honorable Ronan Waide <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> On July 23, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> > Sometimes I get a message from a mailing list with a From address like
> > this:
> >         "John Doe via RT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>"
> > Since I have a record for <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, BBDB will
> > offer me to make "John Doe via" the name of this record, which is
> > certainly not what I want.
> >
> > I added a variable `bbdb-canonicalize-name-hook', similar to
> > `bbdb-canonicalize-net-hook', and I set it like this:
> >
> > (setq bbdb-canonicalize-name-hook
> >       (lambda (name)
> >         (when name
> >           (cond ((string-match " via$" name) nil)
> >                 (name)))))
>
> There's already support for using arbitrary functions to extract the
> name; do an apropos on bbdb-extract-address-component for further
> info.

bbdb-extract-address-component-ignore-regexp and friends are in
bbdb-snarf.el which is not relevant to this issue.
I am having the problem with bbdb `noticing' records.

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
If You Want Breakfast In Bed, Sleep In the Kitchen.