On 12 Jan 2004, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On January 10, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>> How can I make BBDB recognize "compound" real names like
>>
>> Jane von Arx
>> Peter de Vries
>>
>> and split them into firstnames "Jane" and "Peter" and lastnames
>> "von Arx" and "de Vries"?
>>
>> Is there any functionality already implemented in current version
>> of BBDB?
>
> What's your current setting for
> bbdb-extract-address-components-func?  There's some code in BBDB
> itself to try and parse names, but there's also the option of using
> mail-extr via bbdb-rfc922-addresses, and mail-extr has far better
> functionality for splitting out unusual addresses.

Its value is bbdb-rfc822-addresses. But are we talking about the same
thing? With my patch I try to improve the division of the real name
part of an address into firstname and lastname parts (after one of the
functions mentioned in your posting has split the messages' header
field contents into a valid net address part and real name part?),
thus hopefully an improvement (?) of the outcome of function
bbdb-divide-name ("divide the string into a first name and a last
name, cleverly.").

IMHO, doing this really cleverly is of some importance at least when
printing and sorting BBDB entries.

Thanks, Adrian.