Ken Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have been using vm with bbdb under xemacs for quite a while.  I've
> just been switched from mandrake 8.2 to mandrake 9.2.  It has xemacs
> 21.4 (patch 14), and vm 7.14.  I'm not certain of the bbdb version but
> apparently it is xemacs pkg 1.23, because the Changelog in
> /usr/share/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/bbdb starts with
>
>> 2003-05-18  Norbert Koch  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>>         * Makefile (VERSION): XEmacs package 1.23 released.
>>
>> 2003-05-14  Vin Shelton  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>>         * Makefile (REQUIRES): Added os-utils to find jka-compr,
>> necessary
>>         to compile mhe.
>>
>> 2003-05-14  Norbert Koch  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>>         * Makefile (VERSION): XEmacs package 1.22 released.
>
> When I run xemacs in a terminal window -- 'xemacs -nw' -- then vm/bbdb
> work fine.  But when I run xemacs as an X application -- 'xemacs &' --
> and then start vm, I get an error with the following at the top of the
> debug output:
>
> Signaling: (invalid-function (macro . #<compiled-function nil "...(2)"
> [(mapcar-extents (quote identity))] 1>))
>   bbdb-list-extents()
>   bbdb-fontify-buffer()
>   run-hooks(bbdb-fontify-buffer)
>
> I am guessing this means there is something wrong with the compilation
> of bbdb-list-extents()? This appears to live in bbdb-gui.elc.  (The
> Mandrake installation only has .elc files, not .el files.)

Hi Ken, yuou could upgrade or reinstall your bbdb from
http://www.xemacs.org or any of the mirrors using:

XEmacs <= 21.1
Options->Manage Packages->Add Download Site->xemacs.org
Options->Manage Packages->List & Install
XEmacs >= 21.4
Tools->Packages->Add Download Site->xemacs.org
Tools->Packages->List & Install
XEmacs >= 21.5
Tools->Packages->Set Download Site->Official Releases
or
Tools->Packages->Set Download Site->Pre-Releases

May the source always be with you!

Hope this helps,

Adrian

> I am also guessing the only fix is to grab the bbdb source and
> recompile and reinstall it?  Does anyone know of a simpler fix? (I'm
> not the sysadmin and the easier the solution I bring him to implement
> the better ...)
>
> And does anyone know if this is a known problem and/or who if anyone
> should be alerted to fix it?
>
> I'd appreciate it if answers were cc'd to me as I'm not a regular
> reader of the bbdb list.
>
> Many thanks --
>
> Ken Miller

Adrian Aichner