On August 3, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> Any suggestions?  (Yes, I know, "learn more lisp"!)

I can only guess that your BBDB setup is somehow broken. I have just
tried out exactly what you said and it works exactly as expected. If
you can PLEASE submit a bug report using bbdb-submit-bug-report so I
can check that you don't have anything weird in your BBDB setup.

Are you running BBDB compiled or from source? There may be something
in your setup that is somehow interacting badly with BBDB in one
situation or the other.

>From poking at the code just now, you're falling foul of this chunk of
code:
(defun bbdb-record-getprop (record property)
  (if (memq property '(name address addresses phone phones net aka AKA))
      (error "bbdb: cannot access the %s field this way" property))

That suggests you're trying to access a field called name using
getprop. getprop is only used to access the notes field. This would
suggest that you've got a record somewhere with a note field called
"name" - check the user-fields header in your .bbdb file, then search
forward in the file for "(name ." to find the errant record. If you
fix this, M-x bbdb should work fine. Obviously this is something I
should trap in the code, of course.

Cheers,
Waider.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / Yes, it /is/ very personal of me.

<jamesc> do ponies like carrots or have I been drawn into a big pony
   stereotype?