I've recently switched back to Gnu Emacs 21.2.1 from xemacs. Since the
switch, every time I want to save .bbdb, I get a message asking what
coding system to use. After looking in the FAQ I added the code there
and now have a value of file-coding-sytem-alist which includes

 ("/\\.bbdb\\'" emacs-mule . emacs-mule)

This has not fixed the problem. Any suggestions?  BTW, what is the
purpose of the \\' at the end? I see that it's present in almost all
the entries.

How does this interact with the value of bbdb-file-coding-system's
value iof iso-2022-7bit (which 'should not be changed by users')

Graham