From: Ronan Waide <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:54:41 +0100

   On August 11, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
   > Please change the comment, at least :) --- the current CVS Emacs is

   I'm pretty sure Dave actually contributed the comment, and I think
   this amply demonstrates my point about support for CVS Emacs. If this
   code is actively breaking Emacs 22 then by all means I'll take it
   out.

The comment in question is:

;; iso-2022-7bit should be OK (but not optimal for Emacs, at least --
;; emacs-mule would be better) with both Emacs 21 and XEmacs.  Emacs
;; 22 will really need utf-8-emacs.

I am certain that I, at least, cannot parse "Emacs 22 will really need
utf-8-emacs."  as a meaniningful sentence, but I am bloody stinking
foreigner... eh... non-native speaker.  I read it to mean "Emacs 22
will be UFT-8 Emacs", which it won't be.  If it means "in Emacs 22 this
should be utf-8", this appears wrong, according to Dave.  It would be
nice if the sentence made sense, whatever it was intended to mean.

Oh, and my apologies--I apparently had the version from March and the
current version does try to rewrite the coding cookie.  I should
update.

   > Which brings up a related question: can some sort of limited UNDO be
   > implemented in the .bbdb database (current session only, maybe?).

   See previous commentary on implementing features - if you want
   something like this it's best to contribute code. Note that the .bbdb
   file is a normal emacs file in that it doesn't autosave or anything,
   so you can always revert to the on-disk version if you screw things
   up.

Fair enough.  I guess when Emacs starts complaining about being unable
to write out the characters, I can always interrupt the saving
operation and undo the changes in .bbdb, on at a time, to try and get
back to a sensible state.  Rolling back to the state on the disk is
another alternative, but might be less attractive if you have Emacs sessions
running forever.

--Boris