    Ronan> On September 22, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
    >>
    >> I have a lot of VM folders for my email, and VM provides the
    >> capability to set up an alist for filing.  So I've added a
    >> mail-folder field to my BBDB database, and I use the following
    >> function to set up VM's auto-folder alist.  If the following
    >> isn't redundant with other approaches to the same problem (I
    >> seem to often develop redundant solutions!), perhaps it would
    >> be of general interest for bbdb-vm?

    Ronan> what's this doing that bbdb/vm-set-auto-folder-alist isn't
    Ronan> already doing?

    Ronan> (bbdb/vm-set-auto-folder-alist)

    Ronan> Create a `vm-auto-folder-alist' according to the records in
    Ronan> the bbdb.  For each record that has a 'vm-folder'
    Ronan> attribute, add an element (email-regexp . folder) to the
    Ronan> `vm-auto-folder-alist'.

OK, I just tried using this function and I'm confused.  AFAICT (or
maybe I have a stale BBDB?) it doesn't look for a special field, it
looks in the notes-field.  E.g.:

(setq records
          (delete
           nil
           (mapcar (lambda (r)
                     (let ((notes (bbdb-record-raw-notes r)))
                       (if (and notes
                                (assq bbdb/vm-set-auto-folder-alist-field
                                      notes))
                         nil)))
                   (bbdb-records))))

At least in my database, the notes field is a simple string, and
calling assq on it causes BBDB to blow up....

My attempt to do this, admittedly redundant, did

(bbdb-record-getprop record alist-field)

instead.

Is there some reason the use of the notes field is correct instead of
using getprop?  Actually, bbdb-record-raw-notes seems like a very
low-level accessor (as opposed to getprop), since it apparently roots
around in a vector....

thanks,