On Wednesday, October 11, 2006 at 17:48:30, Svend Tollak Munkejord
wrote:
> Robert Widhopf-Fenk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > On Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 09:29:35, Svend Tollak
> > Munkejord wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I use GNU Emacs 21.4, No Gnus 0.6, and the BBDB snapshot from
> >> http://bbdb.sourceforge.net/.
> >>
> >> I have a problem using BBDB with e-mail address completions. I
> >> try to describe the symptoms:
> >
> > You really gave a good bug report, but I am not able to
> > reproduce it in XEmacs/Gnus.  Maybe it is related somehow to
> > your Emacs/No Gnus combination.
> >
> > You could try to debug it yourself:
> >
> >   M-x find-function RET bbdb-complete-name RET
> >   M-x edebug-defun RET
> >
> > 'c' will continue running, 'n' will go to the next sexp.
> >
> > Watch out those (delete-region ....) calls and where their S
> > and E come from.
>
> Thanks for the tips. I have tried a bit, but I have very little
> experience with elisp, so I hope that you may help. I have two
> questions:
>
> 1. When I follow your instructions, and press TAB in my example
>    email reply, the debugger jumps into bbdb-complete-name and I can
>    follow the steps, but only until the *Completions* buffer pops
>    up. After I select the desired address (John Doe...) the debugger
>    is not active, so I do not see what happens when John Doe's email
>    address is wrongly copied into the email. Is this expected?
>
> 2. At the start of bbdb-complete-name, the variables `bed' and `end'
>    are set. In my case, they are 124 and 128. How can I control if
>    they are sensible? Do they correspond to the characters in the
>    email reply buffer?

Yes, they correspond to the region, i.e. the string which is
used for searching completions and it will be replaced by
the result of the completion.

I have now debugged it in GNU Emacs and was able to
reproduce and fix this bug.  The fix is CVS now.

Please update and see if it works for you!

Thanks for reporting this and sorry for coming back on this
so late!

Cheers Robert