> [...]
>> bbdb-use-pop-up nil

> It should work if you do not set `bbdb-use-pop-up' to nil.

No dice.  I set it to t and still no bbdb window gets displayed.  But
I don't want to set it to t.  According to the documentation, if
bbdb-use-pop-up is non-nil then

"...display a continuously-updating bbdb window while in VM, MH,
RMAIL, Gnus or a composition buffer."

I don't want a continuously updating bbdb window.  I just want to see
a bbdb window when I ask for it, typically by running M-x bbdb or M-x
bbdb-create or M-x bbdb-snarf-region.  On occasion I'll hit ':'
(bbdb/gnus-show-sender) in gnus summary mode to either add or update
an address that way but that's it.  Most of my interactive use of bbdb
is strictly for completion when filling out To and CC headers.

Thanks,
--
Dave Goldberg