On Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 08:53:30, Martin Geisler wrote:
> Robert Widhopf-Fenk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > [...]
> >
> > Has proper rename support finally landed in hg?
>
> If you mean the ability to rename files and have hg know about it,
> then you: 'hg rename' does what you expect.
>
> If you refer to the issue about renamed files taking up twice the
> space you would expect, then that is not yet fixed. There is a Google
> Summer of Code project on it, though:

Neither these two, I mean the proper support for merging
changes if renames occurred.

I had this horrible experience at work with SVN where I
branched a new development line and did a lot of refactoring
including renaming of files.

Finally the day came when I had to merge bugfixes from the
original branch into the development branch.  It just did
not work.  I have created a patch where I manually changed
the filenames to be the new ones and then applied that
patch.  Also I ended up to do the same file renaming on the
original branch to allow easier merging for the future.

Cheers Robert