Not being an elisp person, I think I'm stuck.  I've used Gnus and bbdb
for some number of years on Windows and now, for several years, on Linux
(various Ubuntu releases and Debian Lenny).  I've had a problem for the
last year or so with an "Args out of range" error when opening an email
in Gnus, but it goes away when I restart Emacs and Gnus.  (I've posted
here before, but I never figured out a way around that problem.)

Now I've moved to LMDE, which came with Emacs 23.2.1, Gnus v5.13, and
bbdb 2.36.  While I can read email, bbdb always fails with "Args out of
range", and restarting Emacs and Gnus doesn't seem to help.

I begin to suspect my .bbdb is corrupt.  As it's some 4,000 lines long,
I'm not sure exactly where to start: is the the ~300 extra levels of
parentheses around the entire structure, is it the occasional octal
character, or is it something else?

I installed (I think) the latest bbdb 3.02 from CVS on savannah (I did
`make all`; I didn't see a `make install`), but it doesn't work, either.
I noticed that Roland doesn't use customize, but I do (I had a mixed
.gnus/customize configuration, but conflicts between the two caused me
problems, so I arbitrarily moved to customize), and I noticed that he
uses vm and so hasn't tested bbdb3 much on Gnus.

As I presume the bbdb that came with Debian Testing / LMDE works with
Gnus on such a system, I'm looking for an efficient and effective way to
get going again.  The alternatives I see:

- Figure out a semi-automated way to review and clean my .bbdb without
  learning elisp first (I can read it to a degree, but I've not coded
  anything significant in elisp).

- Remove bbdb 3.02, reinstall the version that comes with LMDE from its
  repository, and try to figure out a configuration (likely using
  customize) to make it work.

- Move my .bbdb out of the way and start over with a clean file.  If
  that works, figure out a way to add selected entries from my old .bbdb
  into the new one.

- Find a replacement for bbdb (lsdb??), if it exists for Gnus.

Do you have other suggestions?  Do you have suggestions which seems like
a good way to go?

I suspect I'd get back on the air fastest by removing bbdb3, even though
I suspect it will become _the_ way to go, reinstalling bbdb from the
repository, moving my .bbdb out of the way, and starting over.  It would
_really_ be nice, though, to be able to capture some of my old bbdb
entries without getting any that are possibly creating my current pain.

I'd try cleaning my current .bbdb first, if there was a way to do that.
I haven't even found (or at least recognized) a definition of the file
structure, though.

Suggestions?

Bill
--
Bill Harris                  http://makingsense.facilitatedsystems.com/
Facilitated Systems                                     Everett, WA USA