>>> +  (when (boundp 'revert-buffer-function)
>>> +    (setq revert-buffer-function 'bbdb-revert-buffer))
>>
>> I recommend to use (set (make-local-variable <foo>) <bar>) when setting
>> a buffer-local variable, even if you know that the variable is
>> automatically buffer-local.  One of the benefits is that you don't need
>> to check `boundp' in that case.

> I check for `boundp' because bbdb might be supposed to work on emacsen
> which may lack `revert-buffer-function'.

I thought so, but if you use `setq' you also need such a check to make
sure the variable has been defined and its make-variable-buffer-local
call happened, otherwise even if the variable is "automatically
buffer-local" the `setq' will modify the variable globally.
That's a good reason to use (set (make-local-variable <foo>) <bar>).

As for whether you need `boundp' to set a variable, I think that's not
the case: if your Emacs doesn't obey this variable, setting it
shouldn't do any harm (it'll just be ignored).

        Stefan