On Thu Apr 14 2011 Ted Zlatanov wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 14:47:11 -0500 "Roland Winkler" <wink...@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> RW> On Wed Apr 13 2011 Ted Zlatanov wrote:
> >> It should be possible to support at least Emacs 23.x and XEmacs.  Gnus
> >> does it so we can look there for potential problems and solutions.
> >>
> >> You could ask David Engster <d...@randomsample.de>, who's setting up a
> >> Gnus buildbot, to do the same for BBDB.
> >>
> >> Also you should consider using ERT to write BBDB tests which can be run
> >> by the BBDB buildbot.
>
> RW> Sounds all quite reasonable. At the same time I need to say that my
> RW> time for such things is limited. So it can happen that I might do
> RW> them rather slowly or never.
>
> Asking David is very easy.  I can do it for you if you like.
>
> The ERT tests are pretty simple.  I can get them started if you have no
> philosophical objections.

Quite honestly, I've never heard of ERT. If it's something that
helps to make sure that BBDB works reliably with GNU Emacs 23.x you
have me on the boat for this. -- Up to now, I simply used my latest
GNU Emacs as the only reference. Yet I am updating this every now
and then, without paying too much attention what has changed as long
as things work for me. For BBDB this is certainly not a good
strategy. If ELT can help to do this better, that's great!

If you can contact David to get this going, yet better; thanks a
lot. (Is there some web page documenting ELT? I quickly searched it,
but I could not find it.)

My main concern is XEmacs support. While I am not at all opposed to
having this (re)added to BBDB, it is simply something where I do not
know about and it ranks low on my personal agenda.

If anybody is willing to work on this, please let me know.