>> Regarding (X)emacs and bbdb with mail; Michael <ber...@opensuse.us> adds:

   > newbie alert!!!  :)
   > I have been a long time user of mutt and abook. However, I now
   > desperately need something similar to use with openbsd/linux and
   > windows!
   > A number of years ago, I used Xemacs and VM, but didn't know about bbdb.

Well I used for a very short period of time, elm, then pine
before switching to Xemacs+vm+bbdb.

Bbdb is relatively easy, especially if you use
bbdb/gnus-show-sender
bbdb/gnus-show-all-recipients
which add automatically adresses of incoming mails to your
bbdb data base
and
moy-bbdb using.
(add-hook 'message-send-hook 'bbdb/send-hook)
for doing the  same for your outgoing email.

Xemacs ships already various mail clients and bbdb, however
it is bbdb 2.35 which is incompatible with bbdb vs >= 3,
Backwards compatibility was deliberately broken. But on the
other hand development was frozen for many years.

   > I'm curious if (X)emacs, some mail client, and bbdb would work for the
   > 3 different systems.

All will run wherever (X)emacs run.

Now the mail client is more difficult. Vm worked wonderfully
when workstations where around and the email was physically
stored there. Today we all use imap or pop 3 mail server.
VM imap support  was restricted for many years and terrible
slow at least  till version 7.01. So I switched years ago to
gnus.

However recently development has restarted and it is
announced to have improved imap support. I cannot judge.

An alternative is to run an imap server on or Laptop or a PC
and use offlineimap to synchonize it (a much better solution
in my eyes then using fetchmail.) Then vm should be fine,
but still I have not tested it.

The alternatives are

    -  gnus, which has the advantage of being a mail and
       news reader. It is most likely one of the most
       complex lisp packages around, it is highly
       configurable, its imap support is excellent. But it
       has a certain learning curve, this is true

    -  Wanderlust, also  a news and email client but more
       hm standard. I gave it a try but since I already had
       written quite a bit of addons to gnus I did not want
       to switch again. You should have a look.

Since I don't know anything about abook I cannot help you on
this issue.

Uwe Brauer