Accidentally replied just to Roland.  Sorry about that.

--- Begin Message ---
"Roland Winkler" <wink...@gnu.org> writes:

> If you can post here a list of all warnings etc form the compiler,
> it could give us some idea which pieces of code are possibly not
> backward compatible.

Here's the output from "make bbdb" (for the record this is BSD make, but
GNU make does the same):

In end of data:
bbdb.el:3735:1:Warning: the function `special-mode' is not known to be
    defined.
Wrote /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb.elc

In end of data:
bbdb-com.el:2362:1:Warning: the following functions are not known to be
    defined: use-region-p, ignore-errors
Wrote /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-com.elc
Generating autoloads for bbdb-anniv.el...
Generating autoloads for bbdb-anniv.el...done
Generating autoloads for bbdb-com.el...
Generating autoloads for bbdb-com.el...done
Generating autoloads for bbdb-gnus.el...
Generating autoloads for bbdb-gnus.el...done
Generating autoloads for bbdb-message.el...
Generating autoloads for bbdb-message.el...done
Generating autoloads for bbdb-mhe.el...
Generating autoloads for bbdb-migrate.el...
Generating autoloads for bbdb-migrate.el...done
Generating autoloads for bbdb-mua.el...
Generating autoloads for bbdb-mua.el...done
Generating autoloads for bbdb-print.el...
Generating autoloads for bbdb-print.el...done
Generating autoloads for bbdb-rmail.el...
Generating autoloads for bbdb-rmail.el...done
Generating autoloads for bbdb-vm.el...
Generating autoloads for bbdb-vm.el...done
Generating autoloads for bbdb.el...
Generating autoloads for bbdb.el...done
Wrote /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-autoloads.el
Wrote /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-print.elc

In bbdb-anniv-diary-entries:
bbdb-anniv.el:79:32:Warning: reference to free variable `number'

In end of data:
bbdb-anniv.el:161:1:Warning: the following functions are not known to be
    defined: calendar-extract-day, calendar-extract-month,
    calendar-extract-year, string-match-p, diary-add-to-list
Wrote /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-anniv.elc
Wrote /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-migrate.elc

In end of data:
bbdb-mua.el:1031:1:Warning: the function `special-mode' is not known to
be
    defined.
Wrote /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-mua.elc
Wrote /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-message.elc
Wrote /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-rmail.elc
Wrote /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-gnus.elc
No MH variant found on the system
Wrote /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-mhe.elc

>> [1] bbdb-create works, gathering names and addresses from mail works
>>     (with an error message sometimes, but still working), but displaying
>>     the results of a search doesn't work.
>
> Here I'd be worried that something could screw up the database
> itself which could be nasty to repair.

Speaking of (minor) database corruption I filed bug #34660[1] today.
Just to be clear, this bug isn't an Emacs 22 thing; I get the
same behavior on 23--I just forgot to mention it in the bug report.
I'll add a comment to the bug with version numbers as soon as I can (my
office blocks Savannah, so it'll have to wait until I get home).

[1] http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?34660

--
http://www.wistly.net

--- End Message ---