On Sat Dec 31 2011 Sam Steingold wrote:
> > * Roland Winkler <jvax...@tah.bet> [2011-12-31 07:50:14 -0600]:
> That specific patch was trying to address the problem where the
> *BBDB* window was exactly the same size as the *Article* window,
> i.e., it would split the tallest window in half and take of the
> halves.

The *BBDB* window was exactly the same size as the *Article* window
before or after the splitting? Are you using multiple *BBDB*
windows? Is the *Article* window the window you want to split or do
you want to split a different window?

> > The arg horiz-p is really used only by the function
> > bbdb-mua-auto-update.
>
> And this is the problem.  This means that my bbdb-message-pop-up setting
> is only respected by bbdb-mua-auto-update, which is wrong.
> if you do not want to drop horiz-p altogether, please use my "tallest
> window" approach when horiz-p is nil.

It was the basic idea in BBDB v2 that horizontal window splitting
was used only for MUA windows (using mua-specific versions of the
command bbdb-mua-auto-update). The old behavior appeared reasonable
to me and I don't think I changed concepts here for BBDB v3 (though
details are different). As you come from BBDB v2 I have been trying
to understand this better.

> > Under what circumstances does it not fit your needs and you want to
> > call the command bbdb-display-records instead?
>
> Every now and then the *BBDB* window is created by a vertical split
> instead of a horizontal one despite bbdb-message-pop-up == horiz.

This "every now and then" has been what I was hoping to understand.
Before the code gets changed, it would help to know more
specifically which issue(s) a change is supposed to address.

Oh well. I'll look at the code to see whether it can make sense to
implement something like a value 'horiz-force for bbdb-message-pop-up.
Yet right now, I do not want to promise anything.

> Happy new year!

Happy new year to everyone reading this!