> * Roland Winkler <jvax...@tah.bet> [2012-01-01 02:15:53 -0600]:
>
> On Sat Dec 31 2011 Sam Steingold wrote:
>> > * Roland Winkler <jvax...@tah.bet> [2011-12-31 07:50:14 -0600]:
>> That specific patch was trying to address the problem where the
>> *BBDB* window was exactly the same size as the *Article* window,
>> i.e., it would split the tallest window in half and take of the
>> halves.
>
> The *BBDB* window was exactly the same size as the *Article* window
> before or after the splitting?

before: 2 windows: "*Summary*" (list of articles in the group) - about
20% of the frame and *Article* (the content of the current message) -
about 80% of the frame.
when I visit the article written by someone in the db, the *Article*
window is split into two windows: *Article* and *BBDB*.
v2 split it into 5 lines for *BBDB* and the rest for *Article*.
v3 split it into 1/2 (i.e., 40% of the frame) for *BBDB* and 1/2 (i.e.,
40% of the frame) for *Article*.
I want the *BBDB* window to be as small as possible so that the frame
real estate is not wasted.

> Are you using multiple *BBDB* windows?

no.

> Is the *Article* window the window you want to split or do you want to
> split a different window?

I do want *Article* to be split.

>> > The arg horiz-p is really used only by the function
>> > bbdb-mua-auto-update.
>>
>> And this is the problem.  This means that my bbdb-message-pop-up setting
>> is only respected by bbdb-mua-auto-update, which is wrong.
>> if you do not want to drop horiz-p altogether, please use my "tallest
>> window" approach when horiz-p is nil.
>
> It was the basic idea in BBDB v2 that horizontal window splitting was
> used only for MUA windows (using mua-specific versions of the command
> bbdb-mua-auto-update). The old behavior appeared reasonable to me and

agreed.

> I don't think I changed concepts here for BBDB v3 (though details are
> different). As you come from BBDB v2 I have been trying to understand
> this better.

I did not use horizontal window splitting in v2.
It might well be that the bug was already there.

Whatever the original design was, I did _not_ get the horizontal split
reliably with the original code.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 11.10 (oneiric) X 11.0.11004000
http://ffii.org http://dhimmi.com http://www.memritv.org