On Tue Feb 7 2012 Damon Haley wrote:
> Hi, I have bbdb 3.02 set up to update records interactively in Gnus v5.13.
>
> For most of my 'mail-sources', GROUPS and TOPICS this is good as I like
> to collect email addresses.
>
> But for high-volume lists like emacs-devel, I'd rather not bother.  Is
> there a way to turn off bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p based on a
> specific GNUS GROUP or GNUS Topic(s) using regex(s) like
> bbdb-auto-notes-rules?

> (set `bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p '(query . create))

The car (and cdr) of bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p can be replaced
by functions. You want a function that returns 'search or nil if you
are reading emacs-devel and 'query otherwise. Unfortunately, I am
not a Gnus expert who can tell you which Gnus variable can tell you
which news group you are currently reading. Can someone help?

> Also, when it updates, I get the menu at the bottom of this
> message, which says 'q' would turn off updating. But it only works
> for that particular message and it would be nice to turn if off
> for the rest of the Gnus session or for the rest of the messages
> in the current group.

That's intended behavior. I believe it will be better if you can
bind bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p according to your needs (possibly
via a command you can call while reading news with gnus). Yet I'd
find it odd if BBDB, while operating on one particular message, an
alternative to 'q' affected not only the current message but also
all subsequent messages.