> * Roland Winkler <jvax...@tah.bet> [2012-03-17 01:50:25 -0500]:
>
> On Fri Mar 16 2012 Sam Steingold wrote:
>> I get asked the above question for matching records with an email but
>> without a name:
>>
>> record ==>
>> [nil nil nil nil nil nil nil ("j...@foo.com") nil [#1="" #1# nil #<marker at
>> 1054 in .bbdb> nil]]
>>
>> why does cache have "" for the name?
>> shouldn't it be nil?
>> v2 just assigned the name to the record instead of suggesting that I
>> keep "" as an AKA!
>
> Could you please try to be more explanatory in such an email?
> After executing which commands do you get what? If you think there
> is a bug, which commands should do what differently?

1. view a message and create a records for its author. if there is no
name in the message, the record will be created without a name (I
think); if you have a name, delete it by replacing "foo" with nil in the
file and killing both .bbdb and *BBDB* buffers to force cache updates

2. revisit the message and hit ";" on it; you will be offered to replace
name "" with "foo"

> -- There is no doubt that records without a name associated with
> them are asking for trouble (sooner or later in the BBDB work flow).
> Maybe BBDB should fill such empty name fields with random names of
> the user's favorite poetry or movie stars

Absolutely not.
Records without names are very common in ny .bbdb and have presented no
problems in both v1 and v2. It is only v3 that causes troubles.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 11.10 (oneiric) X 11.0.11004000
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://pmw.org.il http://americancensorship.org