>> (defun gnus-user-format-function-f (header)
>>   (flet ((gnus-summary-extract-address-component
>>                       (x) (bbdb-mua-summary-unify x)))
>>     (gnus-summary-from-or-to-or-newsgroups
>>                       gnus-tmp-header gnus-tmp-from)))
>>
>> It doesn't put the To: field through bbdb because of an 'inline' in the
>> gnus function, but that's basically fine, that field is generated from
>> the bbdb anyway most of the time.
>
> It looks like you know yet better than me the details of gnus to get
> what you want. -- bbdb-mua-summary-unify should come useful in more
> such cases.

Finally flet is deprecated, and the suggested replacement cl-flet does
lexical rather than dynamical meaning that it cannot do what I want. A
reasonable replacement is simply to overload the function
gnus-summary-extract-address-component globally, it is only used in %f
expansion. So, it might make sense to do this while insinuating gnus:

(require 'gnus-sum)
(defun gnus-summary-extract-address-component (x)
       (bbdb-mua-summary-unify x))

and then using plain %f. There is also a gnus-extract-address-component
which is used much more globally, and it might make sense to tweak that
instead, but I'm a bit afraid of the unintented consequences and have
little time to test this.

What do you think?

     /v

--