"Roland Winkler" <wink...@gnu.org> writes:

> On Sun Dec 1 2013 Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> It might be worth looking at the code in org-bbdb.el:
>> org-bbdb-make-anniv-hash builds a hash table of all anniversaries in the
>> BBDB, which would be a useful starting place. Key is (month date), value
>> is ((year record-name anniversary-type) (year record-name
>> anniversary-type) etc). Load org-bbdb.el and populate the hash with
>> org-bbdb-make-anniv-hash.
>
> There are various possibilities to achieve such a goal in more or
> less dirty ways using different hooks, see also GNU Emacs bug#15987.
> (I do not see the need to populate a hash table as an intermediate
> step, as it requires more coding efforts to keep such a hash table
> up to date when BBDB records get modified.)  Yet I wish that, first
> of all, diary/calendar would "officially" support such a thing so
> that BBDB and org-mode need not hook into diary/calendar in some
> dirty ways.
>
> As a general strategy, with the new BBDB I want to avoid trying to
> be smarter than the "main Emacs" which BBDB builds upon.  In my
> humble opinion, the old BBDB contained too many patches of that
> kind.

Oh sure, I don't think this is a good solution by any means. It just
presented itself as the shortest distance from here to there, at
present.

I hadn't read the conversation on the bug report. My 2 cents is that
the calendar and the diary ought to be separate or at least separable
things. I want to use the calendar; I have no need for the diary. Org
mode users, in particular, will be using org to do what diary does, and
my guess is most of us would like the bbdb-to-calendar integration to be
separate from the diary. As you mention in the report, there's really no
reason for an intermediate file.

That's why `calendar-mark-visible-date' seemed like the best entry
point: it's actually quite clean. But the rest of the code (including
population of org-bbdb-anniv-hash) only works because org-bbdb loads
diary-lib and does all the diary-related stuff for us.

Does calendar/diary separation seem like a good idea? I could possibly
chime in on the bug report...