On Thu Jan 30 2014 Christian Lynbech wrote:
> Whenever BBDB makes an update to an entry, for instance noting a new
> name for an existing record, the BBDB pops up the relevant record in a
> new window, messing up my GNUS window layout and this is slowly driving
> me nuts.

Which command are you running?

If it's something like bbdb-mua-display-records, that's certainly
expected to display what it is doing.

> How can I stop BBD from popping windows up left and right?

You get a horizontal split only if bbdb-mua-pop-up is 'horiz.

>         (setq bbdb-mua-pop-up nil)

You might want to run bbdb-mua-auto-update, which gets initialized
by calling bbdb-mua-auto-update-init.  This will then happen
silently in the background.