I have configured bbdb to update records as I read mail, so I am not
running any special bbdb display commands.

I have stuff like these:

    (bbdb-mua-auto-update-init 'gnus 'message)

    (setq bbdb-mua-pop-up nil)

    (setq bbdb-add-mails t)

    (setq bbdb-update-records-p t)

    (add-hook 'bbdb-create-hook 'bbdb-creation-date)
    (add-hook 'bbdb-notice-record-hook 'bbdb-timestamp)
    (add-hook 'bbdb-notice-record-hook 'my-bbdb-gnus-group-hook)

where the last is a hook I have made to keep a record in which groups I
have seen a person.

I shall try to find out more specifically when I get the unwanted pop
up.

                              -- Christian