On Sat Feb 15 2014 Roland Winkler wrote:
> Thanks, now I understand.  The problem was that you have
> bbdb-mua-auto-update-p bound to the function bbdb-select-message.

Of course, the alternative would have been to directly bind
bbdb-mua-auto-update-p to your lambda expression.
But the docstring of bbdb-update-records-p promises that its value
may be a function, too, which kind of makes sense.  So I think it is
best to have bbdb-update-records evaluate its arg update-p twice.