On Thu Feb 20 2014 Aric Gregson wrote:
> Yes, well it is still adding double entries even with the new .bbdb
> file. To get bbdb to start adding names again I had to add
>
> (bbdb-mua-auto-update-init 'gnus 'message)
>
> back to the emacs file. But, again adding everyone even if they already
> exist.

So I am wondering what I said before:

  What does the command bbdb-mua-display-sender say about the mail
  addresses if you run it in a Gnus buffer displaying a message for
  which you already have a BBDB record?

  What do you get when running the command bbdb-search-duplicates in
  your *BBDB* buffer?  Does this find the duplicates?

Does this still fail?  Something seems to be wrong in your setup...

Do you have some older version of BBDB on your system, too, which
somehow gets loaded in addition to the new BBDB?