It's for all those times when you need to paste in a whole bunch of text
from a source and format it to put somewhere else.  You need a new document,
but you're not necessarily going to save it.

A lot of the time I use BBEdit, it's solely for the search an replace
function, so I can paste in, say, a table from a website, and get a comma
separated list out of it to put into an email.  Or, if you're working on
some PHP code, but you need to pull in a function you wrote in Java.
Instead of pasting the Java inline with my PHP and transforming it there, I
usually paste it into a new document, translate it into PHP through a lot of
find and replace all's and manual edits, then paste the result into my
working document.  Then I have this useless "untitled" document laying
around that I usually forget to close.  The scratchpad is supposed to
replace that.

Like most of the functionality in BBEdit, it's up to you how to use it, and
if you don't find it useful don't use it.  I've never used a file group or a
shell worksheet but I'm sure some other people's work in BBEdit revolves
around them.

-Ray