>From what I understand, "Make Backup Before Saving" is now "global and
backups can no longer be made on a per-file basis." (page 228 of the
manual). However, you can ugly up your document with Emacs comments
(vim user here - no, lets not go to war) to prevent or maybe allow
backups on an individual basis.

What I miss is the ability to specify where my "Historical Backups"
are being saved. I have always saved my backups (actually all my
documents) on a second drive which is significantly larger than my
primary. A quick symlink fixes the problem but I was surprised that
BareBones took away the ability of the end-user to specify where to
save those documents.